Some Of Our Dads’ Love Languages Are Not Said Out Loud

When words are hard to express, some dads just show what they mean to say.

There are different ways to express our love, honor, and appreciation for the special men in our lives this Father’s Day. For whatever reason this day would mean to someone, it’s really a time to remember them and give in return the love and sacrifices they’ve given their families. Contrary to the more expressive generation we live in right now, some dads are not as obvious when it comes to letting their kids know what they mean.

As the pillar of our homes, some dads are naturally stoic or may simply be too shy or unaccustomed to show their sensitive side. For my dad, he’s a comedic one, and it’s very rare to hear sentimental things from him. Even so, I believe that our dads have a way for letting us us know they care and love us so much if even if we can’t always hear it; sometimes they show it instead.

He leads by example

I was thinking the reason that my dad probably finds it hard to communicate with us is because he’s absent for most of our lives. As an OFW, he was usually not here when our milestones in life happen. Every year we have to reintroduce ourselves to him, and he to us. Although this pandemic gave us a chance to catch up with each other. We finally experienced what it’s like to be with him all year round. My brother and I are both in our 20s now, but we are both excited to spend more time with him like young kids.

Dad and daughter photo from LSE.

Since he’s stuck here in the Philippines because of the pandemic, I learned a lot about him and his non-verbal ways to say show he wants to tell us. Before the pandemic happened, we only have a short time to be with each other. As much as possible, he doesn’t want us to have any reason to hate him. So, he never imposes anything on us, or dictated what we should be or what we should do.

Whenever he wants to tell us that we shouldn’t complain about our jobs or school, instead of nagging us, he shows us what hard work means through his own experiences. The years he had to endure working away from his family, day-in and day-out without much rest. With those, he taught us how to always be grateful for all the opportunities that come our way, because other people don’t have it easy. Whenever I’m reminded of his stories overseas, I can’t bring myself to complain, because I know how hard it could be.

He speaking through films

Whenever my dad catches my sibling and I browsing through Netflix, he will always recommend to us random films. Most of the time we don’t watch them thinking they might be those old action films. Until one time, he insisted we watch Denzel Washington’s John Q, so, for this one time we did.

John Q movie still.

The movie was surprisingly moving, because it’s a story of an ideal father (John Q) turned vigilante because his family don’t have the means to pay for his dying son’s hospitalization.

I realized something about my dad through that film. One is that he’s a film geek, and the other is he tries to speak to us through those movies. I recognized through this film that my dad would do every possible thing just for us to live and survive just like John Q.

He does acts of service

My dad may not be good with expressing his deepest thoughts without making a joke about them, but one thing he does so clearly and tirelessly is doing acts of service. He never says no whenever we have to go from one place to another, no matter how early the calltime is, he’s going to wake up to drive us there. When I was sick and had to be isolated, he cooked all my meals complete with aesthetic presentation.

Photo from Country Living.

His love may not come in flowery words of affirmation, but the message is clear to me. Sometimes words are not enough to express your care to someone, and the little acts are. Although, in contrast to him, words are my strength. So, may this serve an alternative to a “thank you” Father’s Day card, and I hope this would reach him.

Related:

Dear Children: On Father’s Day, We Let These Proud Papas Write A Letter Of Love To Their Kids

Gifts To Get For Your Dad This Father’s Day

17 Gift Ideas To Make Father’s Day Beyond Special

The post Some Of Our Dads’ Love Languages Are Not Said Out Loud appeared first on MEGA.


Post a Comment

0 Comments